You learn more from your mistakes than your successes.
So here I am to try, and to fail, so I can learn.
Paul Fail. For The Win!

11 April 2011

#FridayFlash Mea Culpa

Says it all doesn't it?

Pearls Before Swine

(I do love me some Pearls Before Swine, too)

There's been a push on the Web towards content. If you want people to read what you have to say, you have to have good content. That's the way the Proprietor of a site can reward their faithful visitors, right?

Except writing is a bit different. We don't write for just ourselves because the stories on paper are always a pale shadow of what was forged within our imagination. It's this desire to share that pushes us to write, and to wait and hope that someone reads it.

I have struggled with consistently posting because, well, there never is enough time, is there? So what time I do have, those little niches here and there throughout the week, I've spent on writing. Then, come Friday the post goes up, I tweet it, list it, and then struggle to get back on top of the little things here and there that were pushed aside to make way for the story.

So what I have been very bad about is being an audience member. I see the stories and their titles and as fascinating and intriguing as they all are, 50 something week in and week out is just daunting. So, as the mind has a wont to do, I've "compromised" by reading none. I've come to realize that that simply will not do. It is not enough to just write, I have to read and give feedback as well.

So what I am going to do now is read the two stories above mine and the two stories below in the #FridayFlash List. I also have made it habit to read the story of one Mr. "Smooth" Tony Noland each week as well. Were it not for him I would not be posting these at all, so there's a special affinity there for me. So while I will fall well short of the 50 stories out there each week, I should, reasonably, read 10%. And, a 10% that varies by title each week as well.

Such is the extroverted hermit life of the Writer's Club, eh?

8 comments:

  1. I agree finding time to read all the #fridayflash can be daunting. I try to read at least 20, if not more, each week. Fridays are ususally my biggest reading day of flahs. Then, I use breaks during the day at work and breaks between writing at home to catch up on it all. Yes, and then it begins all over again when Friday comes back around. Sounds like you have a good method for getting yourself into reading flash and then bit by bit you could add more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara - My weekends and Fridays tend to be crazy busy. What I'm trying to do though is read and comment over the weekend. So read some Saturday, some Sunday, and I also am making sure that I comment whenever I read, too. I may not read as many, but I like to add when I do.

    Slowly adding to the list as i get my life more organized (HA!) is a good goal, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. I'm participating in the A to Z Challenge this month and I have 1000+ unread blog posts in my reader now. *throws hands up in defeat*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura - Wow. That is a daunting number of stories to have unread. Especially since if you took just a single word from each... you'd have a Friday Flash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a first timer in fridayflash I do understand what you are saying. I have been reading the entries over the last few days, Just a couple or so each day, usually when I am having a break and I seem to be getting through quite a few, and enjoying the process.

    (helen-scribbles)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great idea. I'm a high school freshman and this week was my first week but it was also spring break so I'm not sure if I'll be able to read this week but you have given me a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen - It is daunting, but it is also a bit easier if you ease from the pressure of trying to read them all Friday. A lot of it is just habit as well. Once you're in the groove it's second nature.

    cookme - Welcome to the Friday Flash world! There is a lot of good stuff her. I didn't realize you're still in High School and a Freshman no less! I sometimes think about the older me going back in time and kicking the younger me in the ass for not doing more writing sooner. Glad you're ahead of the game! (Or you have a time-machine. In which case, can I borrow it?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's daunting, especially when work piles up on Fridays. I heartily endorse reading as much as you can, spread out over the week. I also endorse the idea of reading authors you especially like

    ... and if one of those authors happens to be me, even better!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I greatly appreciate it. Kind words are always nice, but please do not hesitate to give me criticism as well. I want to learn and write better, and your critiques are a huge help in that. Thanks!