You learn more from your mistakes than your successes.
So here I am to try, and to fail, so I can learn.
Paul Fail. For The Win!

15 February 2010

Submitting a #FlashFriday Piece?

 
When I wrote my last #FlashFriday piece, "Deau <3 Machina" the first draft was 1,700 words and I felt like I had not said nearly enough.  The story works as it is, I feel, but I really liked that first draft.  Cutting almost half of it hurt, because each of the different characters was given so much more depth, and it was each of their little individual decisions that eventually led to the culminating Deus ex Machina.

So the question is, if I go back and write that story, expand it out by another 2,000 to 2,500 words words or so while adding in another twist or two; what are the ethics of then submitting it?  I would, of course, mention that a much smaller version was already published online, but just because I can doesn't necessarily mean I should.
  
If anyone has any thoughts experience or recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.
 

5 comments:

  1. I did query an editor not too long ago about submitting a piece that appeared on my blog as a friday flash. He said he did accept. Only stipulation was that if story was selected for inclusion, then I had to go back and delete it from my blog.

    There is nothing "ethically" wrong with expanding a story that appeared as your flash. You just have to ask the publication what submission rules allow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Marisa, and will add that you have to do your homework about submissions. There are usually posted guidelines, but if not, an editor will let you know what's acceptable and what's not.

    In any case, if you're ever unsure, it's best to be honest about it. Kind of just like life, eh?

    I didn't read your flash yet, but the title caught my attention. I'm heading over to read it now. ~ Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marisa! Having talked about trying to be a writer "someday" I've decided to make that day now. So there is a good many things I'm still trying to feel my way through. I never expected to look at any of these #FlashFriday pieces in terms of publication.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olivia- You are definitely right about the honesty thing! Life is so much simpler when it's lived straightforward:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Normally when I mention it's been on my blog they accept it, looking at it differently than another ezine. Just tell them and let them decide.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I greatly appreciate it. Kind words are always nice, but please do not hesitate to give me criticism as well. I want to learn and write better, and your critiques are a huge help in that. Thanks!